9.11.2011

Tastes like fall.

After some crappy cold, rainy days, the weather finally turned around. It’s crisp and warm out here. I woke up yesterday morning knowing that I had to get out and run, first, because it had been so long since I ran and two, because it was perfect running weather. I found a new running path that was pretty packed, but it’s a paved path along the river and right to the ocean. I didn’t go to the ocean, because that would have been about 10 miles further than I wanted to go, and also because then I would have to turn around and come back. 28 miles? Better believe I didn’t do that. But the 4 miles I did felt good. It was the most natural my running has ever felt. Hope I feel that way again soon. Some days the running gods just look down and smile on you, right?

It’s strange to see all those fall favorites at the market. I bought a bunch of squash and apples (locally grown, of course). So when I was considering what type of muffins to make for quick, go-to breakfasts, I knew pumpkin had to be included! So, I made some amazing banana-pumpkin muffins.

Banana-Pumpkin Muffins (I will add a picture later on, somebody let my camera battery die. I’m blaming G-dog.)

1 15-oz. can pumpkin (get the real stuff, not the filling)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
3 medium mashed bananas
1/4 cup oil

3 cups flour (any combination)
1/2 cup quinoa flakes (if you can’t find these, try oats)
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup flaxseed
1 tbls cinnamon
1 tbls pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 muffin tins or use paper cups (I did 1 regular size and 1 mini-muffin).
2. Mix eggs, oil, honey, sugar, pumpkin and banana.
3. Mix in dry ingredients.
4. Pour into pans and bake 15 minutes for mini or 25 for full or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

 

In case you guys were wondering, school is going great. I have my first battle scar too. I chopped a chunk of my thumb off this week. I won’t show pictures of this, but trust me, it’s disgusting, but healing. It’s funny because I have never cut myself on a knife in my life. Until I go to culinary school. The stuff I’m learning right now is pretty basic, stuff I basically know, but now have an actual term for it. I will wow you guys in couple of classes from now. My schedule between work and class sucks, so I don’t know how frequent blogging will be. I still read though!

 

Is it feeling like fall near you?

Even though temperature isn’t quiet fall like yet, the whole going back to school thing and squash around every corner is making it feel like fall. Plus, Starbucks has pumpkin spice out, which is a clear sign it’s fall. I love getting the syrup in my doppio espressos, It’s a nice change.

Favorite use of pumpkin:

Baked goods! Bread, muffins, cookies, etc. It makes my feel healthier for eating something indulgent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...