6.21.2011

BFD and tornado sirens!

BFD does not stand for:

Big Furry Dinosaur



Beautiful Friendly Dog



But it does stand for:

Breakfast for Dinner

And that's what I consumed tonight. There are a lot of big changes at work right now, so when I get home, I'm too exhausted to make it up the stairs. The big wigs were in today finalizing some plans (both to the business side of things AND the actual building), so I ran around working about 5 times harder than usual. My head hurts and English is hard. I needed easy food that was also comforting. And what's more comforting than blueberry waffles? Nothing. Maybe chocolate chip pancakes, but we're trying to be healthy here. Plus it's the first day of summer, time for berries!

I threw together a quick batch of these babies with Canadian bacon on the side and a nice big helping of "homemade" strawberry syrup. Yum!

Make sure to oil up your iron really well. Otherwise you end up with a waffle like this!

Blueberry Waffles:

1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 oat flour
1 TBLS baking powder
1 TBLS sugar
2 TBLS flax meal (also labeled as ground flax seeds)
1 TSP salt

3 eggs
4 TBLS grapeseed oil
1 TBLS honey
1 TBLS vanilla
zest of one lemon

1 cup blueberries

1. Sift together all dry ingredients in one bowl.
2. Whisk up eggs in another bowl. Combine all other wet ingredients into the bowl. Slowly whisk dry into wet. Once JUST combined, stir in blueberries.
3. Follow directions with your waffle iron to make waffles. (Made about 6 Belgian ones for us)

Fresh off the iron!


Strawberry Syrup: This is one of those things I make, but don't have a recipe for. It's too easy to have something formal. I'll try my hardest.

Slice up tons of strawberries. Throw in a small saucepan with some syrup. Cook on low for awhile. Strawberries will soften and the syrup will taste fruity. Serve on anything! (use as much of either as you want. Like tons of fruit? Use more berries or less syrup. Want to serve a crowd? Throw in more of both. You can even add some honey or sugar and water to stretch it out more.)

Keep dinner in the over set at warm for roommates who want to come home late!
I enjoyed this meal with a nice semi-sweet white wine. A Traminette, to be exact. My favorite type of wine is a Gewurztraminer (trying ordering that after a few glasses...), and the Traminette is a newer varietal of the same family. If you like semi-sweet wines, I suggest trying both. A Gewurtz is really good with Asian food, in case you were wondering.



As I was finishing up this post the emergency warning sirens came on, or as they are known in the midwest, tornado sirens. I quickly turned on the weather report and it said a tornado touched down in the town next to us just a few miles away. I quickly turned off my computer, grabbed my purse, phone, dog, and hoodie and ran downstairs with the roommates. After twenty minutes, the sirens turned off and all was clear.

This was Guinness's first encounter with the sirens at night and not as a practice the first tuesday of the month at 10am. ON top of us being a little spooked and grabbing all of our stuff and flashlights, we were franticly trying to remember all the stuff we needed to remember. Do we light candles? Do I need to grab a can of soup? I grabbed G's leash and put it on. Safety first, right? Yeah, in dog language purse + leash = car ride = fun. Then she heard the sirens. The poor thing is still confused.

So, crisis averted. Just a confused dog. I have my fingers crossed that my work was hit and I don't have to go in tomorrow. HAHAHA.

Pictures from a tornado down the street from me about a year ago (sorry about the crappy phone pictures):








Tornadoes... something I will not miss when I move away. I think I need another waffle. I burnt a lot of calories running around in panic mode.

3 comments:

  1. Blueberry waffles! Think I will make those tonight!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH My! Tornados scare the crap out of me! And I love BFD!! My family...not as much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...